Monday, April 21, 2008

A Beautiful Day on the Lackawaxen River. Where's all the fisherman?

On Saturday I took a few hours and went over to the the Lackawaxen River. I was a little apprehensive about the mobs of 'Monster Derby' folks but when I got there it was just a typical early season Saturday. A few guys in the regular spots. A mix of spinning and fly gear. A light easterly breeze. I went to one of my early season spots and found the the Jolly Green Giant had already been there. I wondered if he had caught a Monster Trout. I bounced the bottom for about twenty minutes without any luck. I moved down stream to a bigger pool and found a few fish snapping at emergers. There was a nice if not extraordinary caddis hatch. I haven't witnessed a hatch like this for several years. At times it was like being in a snow storm. The caddis was about a size 14 with a apple green body and medium gray wing. I got one good rise from a dry. I had little luck with sparkle pupa patterns or small green wooly buggas. I notice a few black stones landing on me so I tried a couple of good imitations. No luck. It was turning out to be one of those 'what are they eating?' days, I tied on a rather odd sparse stone pattern and had no luck with about 30 casts. As I retrieved it a a fairly fast pace to change patterns - Bang - I hooked a very pretty 9" brown. That turned out to be the only taker. Oh well it's early yet.

PPL is giving us a break this week and not scheduling any power runs. That and the weather forecast bode well for for those lucky enough to fish during the week. I can't get on the stream 'til Friday so leave a few Monster Trout for me.